Sunday, November 23, 2014

Blog Post #14

We were assigned the article Teaching Our Children can be a profession, which was written by Joel Klein. It was published in USA today on November 17, 2014. In this article Joel talks about two of the main problems with in the teaching profession.

1. Problem with hiring teachers

I believe that it is very hard to get hired on with any school system after graduating, because so many graduate the education program every year from different schools. I also do not think that it should be based on who was the top in their class. College classes are hard, and if you have a future teacher who cares it will show in her student teaching and her everyday life. I know that I struggle with some classes, but that does not mean I am going to be a bad teacher. In today's school systems it takes someone who is going to be a go getter, that is willing to work hard. If a school system finds a teacher like this, I do believe that she should be hired.

2. Problem with Seniority

I believe that the problem with Seniority, is that teachers who have been there and have tenure are harder to just walk away from their job and harder to fire. I also believe that you should not let the last teacher hired go, because if she has a more effective teaching method, than an older teacher who has been there that shows a lot. Today we have to engage students with more than just lectures and notes in class. They like to be interactive in class, and be involved. I also believe the teachers who have been there for a while, can learn from the new teachers who just graduated. It is the ones who just graduated that know more about the technology that our students use today for everyday use in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Carissa on how it should not be just those who graduate top of the class to be hired as educators. I too struggle with some classes and certainly do not believe that determines whether or not I'll be a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete