Sunday, October 19, 2014

Blog Post #9 What can Teachers and Students teach us about Project Based learning?


Seven Essentials for Project Based Learning It was after I read and watched these blog post that I realized what can come off as busy work to students. They will then feel disconnected with this project and it will not engage them. I know by printing out certain guidelines, it makes them not be able to use their imagination and creativity to be different. As a teacher you always want them to use their creativity. They should be able to make their own decisions about how they want to do their work or projects. I have learned that Project Based Learning focuses on 7 main concepts: 1. The Need to Know, which is used to engage the students. It would be the entry event, which could be done in many ways. 2. The Driving Question, is something that will be a clear purpose and challenge to the students. 3. Student voice and choice, you always want to make sure your students always have the ability to voice their opinion and choice. This is a way to be unique. 4. 21st Century Skills, which is what they will being to college and into the work force. This includes how they use critical thinking. 5. Inquiry and Innovation, which helps the kids with questions and how they should follow their ideas. They may use the internet and other resources. This will help their project be meaningful and be remembered. 6. Feedback and revision, which is what helps to make the project even better. I know that this could come from them, a classmate, any teachers, mentors, or anyone else who they feel would help them edit their work before presenting the work. 7. Publicly presented product, this is the final step of presenting their work. If they know they have to present it in front of either their class or the student body, they tend to work a little harder. As a teacher you always want to give them an Audience. I have learned a lot of great tips for the PBL projects and how to make my students look more presentable. I want to teach my kids how to think outside the box and be abstract. I now know, that it is very possible to engage students more effectively with a the PBL steps, verses having to give strict guidelines and only certain topics.

Project Based Learning for Teachers This video was very helpful to me, because it seems to have a lot of information for questions teachers or future teachers may have. It tells you exactly what common core is, and it tells you exactly what Project based Learning is. They show you what skills it takes. They explain exactly how technology plays a roll for both students and teachers. I believe what it said about PBL helps kids take charge of their learning. I enjoyed this video a lot.

PBL- High School Math This video was very important to me because it showed how they had a 5 year transition for the school. They showed how the teachers were actually getting to make their class by using Project Based Learning. I believe it would have been difficult at first, but I think I would eventually get it. Project Based Learning they said had already made a impact on test scores. They were hoping to get even higher after all of the classes were switched over. They have saw a change in students who were not normally engaged in class, who were now engaged and participating. Their 15% increase in students passing their High School Proficiency Exam in Reading was a good sign that it was working, and also the 18% increase in Algebra 2. I believe that that as a teacher would make me extremely happy, and I would make sure to be the best teacher I could be. I always say to my self, you may be the best thing they see all day, always be very nice and concerned about your students.

What Motivates Students? The kids in this video are very realistic. We all have been told since we were little, you can do anything you set your mind to, but there are things you have to do to get there. I really enjoyed the rewards part of the video. The little boy who talked about the clip chart and having class money, is what gives me an idea for my future classroom. I like the idea of having a different theme for each day to engage your kids. Let's be honest kids get bored and zone out really quick, they need something fun that will entertain them while they are learning.

Two Students solve the problem of watery Ketchup by Designing a new Cap This video is pretty cool, considering I eat ketchup on a lot of things. It is very interesting that these two boys worked together for a year, started with sixty designs and narrowed it down to thirty. They have even figured out how much it would cost the companies to switch to this kind of cap. They worked as a team, formatted it, and then printed it to test. I wish that I could think of some kind of project like this to be able to do. I appreciate Johnathan and Tyler doing this because hopefully the ketchup companies will eventually convert to a new lid.

2 comments:

  1. Let's hope they patented their idea.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely organized post! We share very similar ideas on these links. I too found the ketchup bottle cap design to be very interesting. I hope that one day my teaching technique will push my students above and beyond to create something that will help others!

    ReplyDelete